History Of Sylvan Shores
All amenities in this lovely community are maintained by Sylvan Shores Services Company, Inc. (SSSC), a non-profit corporation, which holds title to these common-use properties. SSSC is a unique organization – originally, a utility providing private water and sewer services to the community, as well as a community services organization. In October 2010, owners in Sylvan Shores voted to approve Anne Arundel County’s proposal to replace the failing private water and sewer systems that have supported this community for more than 65 years. In 2014, upon completion of the County water and sewer project, SSSC shed its utility function, and is now transitioning to a more traditional community association.
Sylvan Shores is also nearing completion of an extensive Storm Water Management Project, funded by a $1.8 million grant from the Chesapeake Bay Trust. The grant is now managed by the South River Federation.
Recognizing the investment required to maintain and improve community assets for the benefit of all owners, residents and guests, the community petitioned the County to establish a Special Community Benefit District. The Sylvan Shores Special Community Benefit District was established by legislation in April 2015, for the following purposes:
- Acquiring, maintaining, improving, and operating real property, facilities, and personal property owned or to be owned by Sylvan Shores Services Company, Inc. for the common use and enjoyment of the owners and residents of the community
- Providing recreational events and gatherings directly related to the community
- Community-wide insect and pest control
- Providing security for the protection of real property, facilities, and personal property owned or to be owned by Sylvan Shores Services Company, Inc. for the common use and enjoyment of the owners and residents of the community
- Providing for the administrative expenses necessary to accomplish these purposes